Thursday, March 29, 2012

Recovery from Addiction is a Spiritual Journey

The greatest of all changes for me was eliminating the need to alter my mind with substance abuse.  In my case it was alcohol, and for me entering the rooms of recovery was the greatest gift that had been given to me in my spiritual journey.  Certainly, I did not know it at the time.   For protection of the group, I will not reveal exactly what program I used, but I will tell you that it is indeed everywhere offering opportunity for recovery to all that need help.  What I share with you today is certainly my truth and my story and is not to be interpreted any other way. 

It is not the addiction that is the disease, it is the spiritual sickness locked possibly in our d.n.a. that leads to any form of substance abuse.  And yes, even food can fit into this category.  To me food is one of the hardest dilemmas because all of us wear it for everyone to see and observe.  What a horrid and hopeless feeling.  Usually, an addict will suffer with one or more addiction.  I  was such an individual.  My first addiction was alcohol, but   also food could just as well serve as an equal substitute.

So, how does addiction meet with spiritual growth?  Quite easily as addiction is an attempt by the addict to escape the reality of living on earth by using whatever it takes to achieve altered state of consciousness.  The result can be a horrendous  journey into the dark side where nightmares abound and a state of fear exist.  This can often lead to unhealthy behavior disorders as well as harm to self and others.   How do you stop this nightmare from becoming your reality?  Simply stop using the drug of your choice, and join, yes join a recovery program that offers 12 step work and begin a healthier approach to living.  My belief here this is the only way out of your hell.

While living on earth, we all must accept that the law of polarity deals with all of the polar opposites.  With good there is bad, up creates down,  serenity will have chaos as its opposite, and I can continue with the entire page here of polar opposites, but hopefully you understand that you will experience all of these emotions good and bad while living on earth.  Under the influence of drugs or whatever choice is made to alter your state of being, you will at some point in time this life or the next return have experience what you have chosen to not experience.  So, why not recovery now and be done with this wreckage.

Like all  others in recovery, the first and hardest for me was that I had attracted many of the episodes that were very painful.  This took some time for acceptance to sink in  and join the group, learn what to do, and begin to change the mess that had been made by my choices.   When you change your vibration, you change your attraction.  Like me, you probably will not know when  that change has occurred.  This takes time as well as work  on yourself to cause these changes to occur.  I agree with the room's philosophy, it takes at least a year before you find yourself.  Changing behavior will allow a change in what you are bringing into your life.  Better friendships, better relationships, better employment, all are the gifts of recovery.  Your job is to take the journey.  On a spiritual level you will be tested, that simply means it is up to you to refuse the old attractions several times until the new vibration is revealed.  Simply put, you will continue to receive the old attractions until you decide to do something about.  For that, you are responsible.  Take your time or jump into life and recover.



No comments:

Post a Comment